What to Do When Hit by an 18-Wheeler

A car accident can be a frightening experience in any situation, but when the other vehicle is an 18-wheeler, it can be 10 times worse. Injuries from a collision with a semi can be more serious with long-term damage and permanent injuries not uncommon. It’s important to know what to do in these situations and the differences in a collision with another passenger vehicle versus an 18-wheeler.

Call The Police

Many accidents involving 18-wheelers will involve multiple vehicles and will automatically require the presence of a police officer. However, you should contact law enforcement even if the accident seems minor. Make sure you see the emergency medical personnel on-site of the accident even if you feel fine at the time. Realize that the sheer impact from a semi-truck can cause damage just because it’s much heavier and larger than a passenger vehicle.

Don’t Talk to Anyone Other than Professional Personnel Onsite

Don’t talk about the accident with anyone at the collision site except for the medical team and police officer filing the report. The truck driver will likely have multiple insurance providers representing them and even attorneys, so you want to be careful what you say before talking with your own attorney.

Document Details of the Accident

Write down as many details of the accident as you can remember as soon as possible. Your memory will begin to fade in a day or two and even a small detail may help your case. Record the date and time of day, what streets, roads, or intersections were part of the scene of the accident. Even the weather is an important detail to recall. Be sure to take pictures of all of the vehicles involved at the scene.

Contact an Attorney

As soon as you have reported the accident to your insurance, you need to hire an attorney. While it’s often recommended with any vehicle accident, it’s imperative when a semi-truck is involved. They have a team of attorneys and insurance providers working for them, and you don’t want to go against them on your own.

Trevor Furlong has a long history of helping people who have been the victims of crashes with 18-wheelers. Call him today at (918) 387-8660 or complete an online form to set up a confidential case review.